15 Feb CFSS to Bring New Opportunities While Maintaining a Similar Foundation of Care
The Community First Services and Supports (CFSS) program was created in 2013 with the goal of preventing or delaying future institutional admissions while supporting community-based living and individual choice. It is likely that in the next year CFSS will begin to replace Personal Care Assistance (PCA) programs and consumer support grants.
The foundational goals of CFSS will be the same as with PCA, but there will be some new opportunities for provider agencies and the individuals who receive supports.
CFSS will provide opportunities for eligible individuals to:
- Direct their own budget to purchase items that reduce dependance on human assistance and more control over their care.
- Develop a person-centered plan to establish what goods and services will best support their needs.
- Receive care and services from spouses and parents.
- CFSS eligible individuals are also eligible to be a paid provider of CFSS services.
CFSS will provide opportunities for agencies by:
- Offering a new service line Consulting Services
- Expanding FMS utilization in the PCA eligible population.
Community First Services and Supports is still waiting for Federal approval and a go live date has not been set.
Additional Resources for CFSS from MN DHS: